Without county clerks, many of government’s underlying responsibilities would go undone.
The main duties of the county clerk are:
- Serving as clerk of the county court and the commissioner’s court and keep records of the proceedings
- Acting as recorder of deeds and other instruments
- Filing and recording birth and death certificates
- Recording assumed names, wills, and probate
- Issuing marriage licenses
- Accounting for all funds paid to the office by way of fines and fees, and the amount owed to county court jurors for service
Duties & Responsibilities of the COUNTY CLERK from the Texas Association of Counties.