"I consider trial by jury as the only anchor yet devised by man, by which a government can be held to the principles of its constitution." Thomas Jefferson
1. Please fill it out immediately and mail it back in the enclosed envelope (or hand deliver it to the District Clerk's office on the first floor of the courthouse).
2. Do not bring it with you on the day of jury service.
3. Mark your calendar so you do not forget.
4. Try to be outside the courtroom by 8:30 a.m. We typically begin seating by 8:30 a.m. so that we can begin the actual jury selection around 9:00 a.m.
5. Contact the District Clerk's Office (560-7730) if you have any questions.
1. Be at least 18 years of age;
2. Be a citizen of Texas and Nacogdoches County, qualified under the Constitution and laws to vote;
3. Be able to read and write;
4. Be of sound mind and good moral character;
5. Must not have been convicted of a felony;
6. Must not be under indictment or other legal accusation of theft or of any felony;
7. Must not have served as a Juror for (6) days during the preceding (6) months in the District Courts, or during the preceding (3) months in the County Court.
Although qualified to serve as a Juror, the following persons are entitled to claim an exemption from jury service
1. Persons over 70 years of age.
2. Persons who have legal custody of a child or children under the age of 15 years if jury service by that person would necessitate leaving the child or children without adequate supervision.
3. All students of public or private secondary schools.
4. Persons enrolled and in actual attendance in an institution of higher education.
5. Is an officer or an employee of the Senate, the House of Representatives, or any department, commission, board, or other agency in the Legislative Branch of State Government.
6. Primary Caretaker of a person who is an invalid unable to care for himself.
7. A member of the U.S. military serving on active duty and deployed to a location away from the person's home and out of the county of residence.
Juror Attendance Confirmation
Upon request, the District Clerk's Office will provide a written confirmation of time you served as a Juror. Please request your confirmation before leaving the Courthouse on the last day of your service. The confirmation will reflect only time you actually spend in the Courthouse serving on Jury Duty.
Jurors are paid $6.00 for the first day or fraction of the first day served, and $30.00 for each day or fraction of each day served as juror after the first day. Your check for service will be mailed to you from the District Clerk's Office.
Jury Pay Donations
If you wish, you may donate your jury pay to one of several organizations that have been approved by Commissioner's Court.
1. Nacogdoches County Crime Victims Services
2. Texas Crime Victim Compensation Fund
3. Nacogdoches County Child Welfare Board
There is a parking pass included in your jury summons. Please use it if the county parking lots are full, and you have to park downtown. There is more parking information in the general information section.
The Nacogdoches County Courthouse is a nonsmoking facility. You may smoke only in designated areas outside the building.
Appropriate Dress for Court
Please dress appropriately for Court. No tank tops, shorts, flip flops, hats or sunglasses may be worn in Court.
Pagers and Cell Phones
Pagers and Cell Phones must be turned off or on the silent/vibrate mode when in the courtroom.